I can’t believe that my time in the jungle is already over! I have had an absolutely incredible time, and wish I could stay here longer. I spent 82 days living at KAFS – that’s around 240 plates of rice, and 65 days running after lemurs!

My final lemur species count was 12, which was the maximum number I could have seen in the areas I visited, so I’m extremely pleased with that! Along with the black and white ruffed and greater bamboo lemurs that I studied in Kianjavato, I also saw aye ayes, red-fronted, brown-fronted, golden bamboo, brown, gray bamboo, woolly, fat-tailed dwarf, mouse and Milne-Edwards’ Sifaka lemurs!

Me and the guides on my last day of field work

Week 12 was all about the epic journey back home. On Tuesday morning Savanna and I said goodbye to all the extraordinary people we’d met over the last three months, then climbed in the MBP van with our driver for 13 hours of fun back to Antananarivo, the capital. I was carsick this time, so the already extremely long drive seemed to take an eternity. Eventually we made it to our hotel though, where we ordered dinner (rice!) and then went to bed (actual beds!).

On Wednesday morning we caught up with Nancia, a research assistant who had been working at KAFS, but left a few weeks ago to start her PhD. Afterwards Savanna left for the airport. I had the rest of the day to myself. I was pretty miserable and just moped about in the hotel listening to Malagasy music and texting my new friends with the last of my phone plan credit.

Reunited with Nancia!

Thursday I was still sad, but a lot more excited because it was time to go home to see my family. Two days of flying via Ethiopia and Singapore on a ridiculously long route with equally ridiculous layover times and I was back in Adelaide. Hot showers, drinking from the tap, a proper bed, non-hiking clothes and allll the food made me extremely happy. Oh, and my family!

What’s next?

I’m posting this after a few weeks of being at home, so I thought I’d answer the question everyone I know has been asking me – now I’ve come home from this incredible experience, what am I going to do next?

Well quite frankly your guess is as good as mine. I’m still running my tutoring business (you can find out more about that here), and am looking for a job. So if anyone sees any good environment/conservation/science/communications jobs up for grabs please let me know!

I’m going to keep this blog going too, so stay tuned for updates on my next move. Thanks to everyone that’s been reading, I hope you enjoyed following my travels.

Veloma, misoatra betsaka.